Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What's a Conch???

It's funny how sometimes you can take things for granted until you see them from someone else's perspective.
Recently, I met with client who was relocating  from the Northeast to The Keys and as she sat at my desk, she saw my logo with the address TheRealEstateConch.com.   She asked...What's a Conch?
One of the humorous things we Keys Folk get a kick out of, is the way tourists say "Conch" with the ch  sounding like the ch in cheetah. 
Conch...Pronounced like KONK is a wonderful mollusk that I many other Keys Folk have an incredible affinity for.
For centuries the Native American and subsequently the Anglo settlers in the Keys came to rely on this relative of the snail for its high protein as a mainstay staple on their tables.
They were as well prized for their beautiful shells.
As time went on native Key Westers and eventually Keys residents in general were nick-named Conchs
In the 80's when The Keys sarcastically seceded from the Union, we were called "The Conch Republic" before we rejoined the Union (I sometimes wonder if we would should have stayed independent!!)
When boiled, Conch can be chewy like octopus or calamari, but when tenderized it can be just wonderful, breaded and fried with a bit of lemon (Cracked Conch). 
Because of over harvesting, native Conch are no longer allowed to be taken, but as a kid, when they were legal, I used to snorkel for them, for their shells and even made Conch horns that I would sell to my friends (great noise maker at a football game).
My mom and I would get the meat out and she would sometimes make the best ceviche (raw conch cooked only by the acid of Lime juice , with peppers, onions, celery, tomatoes, and spices...ummm mmm) or conch fritters.
Yes we are Conchs...proud custodians of these magical isles...the Fabulous Florida Keys!
So now you know what a Conch is and why I am the CONCHquistador.


Ready for sage advise from a Conch??  Put the expertise of the Conchquistador to work for you! For more information on the outstanding real estate opportunities that exist in the Keys, call me at 305.439.7730 or email me at DropAnchor@TheRealEstateConch.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment